[SpamCop.net - protecting the internet through technology]

[SpamCop-Geeks] Re: Windows registry corrupt

Porpoise porpoise1954 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 31 14:40:17 EST 2005

"Mr K. Mean" <g2p4i1902 at sneakemail.com> wrote in message
news:dp60ju$ce5$1 at news.spamcop.net...
> Ok, how screwed am I?  Has anybody fixed this one before?  I assume this
> is the problem I'm having.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545
>
> My computer boots but any account I try to log into, it starts logging in
> and then immediately logs out and takes me back to the login screen. My
> recovery disk doesn't work because I don't have the administrator
> password.  I have other account on the machine that are administrators but
> it doesn't ask me for them.  So, I'm trying the copying thing from Knoppix
> then.
>
> But any advice?  Anybody successfully fixed this one before?

That's the reason I would never buy a system from a supplier who only
supplies a recovery CD/DVD rather than the full installation disc. With that
scenario, you can't recover a system, only restore the system to how it was
when it left the supplier - which stuffs any user accounts/passwords you may
have added since purchase. (Unless you have a full backup regime, of
course).

So what, actually, was it you did? Did you;

1. try to do a fix using a system restore disc?

2. try to do a fix using system repair using a full installation disc?

3. try to do a restore from a backup?

Alternatively, what is it that actually happened and/or what is it you're
trying to do? I deduce that you have, in some way, become the lucky owner of
a screwed registry........  8>[]

Which OS are you using? I take it you don't have a backup of the registry?!