[SpamCop.net - protecting the internet through technology]

[SpamCop-List] Reporting Dutch Spam

Marjolein Katsma nobody at spamcop.net
Mon Nov 24 19:46:41 EST 2003

In case you got a spam that:
- was sent by a Dutch company
- sent from a Dutch address
- sent through a Dutch provider
there is now an address to report such spams (in addition to the normal
SpamCop reports!):

The reporting address is:  meldpunt at spamvrij.nl

Full information (in Dutch) here:
<URL:http://spamvrij.nl/werkwijze/faq-aanmelden.php>

They want (of course) full headers, and are interested in copies of
complaints to providers' abuse adresses, so you could just add the
address to the additional "User Notification" box on the spam reporting
form.
(I don't know how one does that with the mail reporting method, but I
assume there's an equivalent method).

At first, they'll put the (munged) spam reports in a database, and once
there are multiple reports for a particular spammer, they'll be
displayed publicly on the website.

Although (given the new Dutch law implementing the EU -opt-in!- anti-
spam law) there is an authority in the Netherlands for enforcing the
anti-spam law (OPTA), they will NOT accept complaints by individual
consumers. But the government does not want to finance a national
reporting entity either... So spamvrij.nl, which has taken up this role,
deserves all the support they can get.
See also <URL:http://www.xs4all.nl/nieuws/overzicht/spamwet.html>

-

Since the new anti-spam law here, I've already had two Dutch spams - and
I wish I'd known about this reporting facility before!

--
Marjolein Katsma - from Amsterdam, NL
* Help with HomeSite/Studio: http://hshelp.com/